Friday, August 28, 2015

Storybook Favorites

Storybook 1: Beauty Parlor Gossip
I chose this storybook because of that fact that I work in the beauty industry. I know all too well the gossipy atmosphere that seems to invite customers into telling us their dirtiest secrets (even some that I really do not want to know about.) I thought it would be pretty fascinating to see how someone could transform the epics into gossip. After reading through the introduction, I was a lot more excited to skim through the pages of the site. I liked the fact that they used the gossip in a way that many us of would have used gossip. Not only did she have a good of friends trying to trick the central character, she gave all of them a personality that followed up with their stories. In order to still make the epic storytelling part of the assignment true, they wrote down all the information missing from the friends' stories in the author's notes.
(Image Information: Beauty Parlor Banner Source: Beauty Parlor Gossip)

Storybook 2: How I Met Your Mother
As we can all see from my three choices, I am a sucker for the storybooks that I can relate to. I enjoyed how they had some features of the show mentioned in the stories and introduction. However, I don't think a guest that had not read the author's note or seen the title would have been able to recognize the theme they were going for. Even though I do like their theme, I would have done it differently. The design of their page was interesting, though. I really liked the way it looked like a paper written on in a studio. It actually reminds me a lot of the advertising for the company I work for.
Storybook 3: 1000 Ways to Die
I do have to explain that my reason for choosing this one is because my husband and I love to watch random fact shows such as one about the world’s dirtiest jobs, ghost stories, and even 1000 Ways to Die. So, to say the least, seeing this storybook in the long list made me pretty excited to read through it. I would say that the introduction was presented in a good manner. I definitely knew what the author was going to tell me about in the next few pages. I did like that they incorporated the specific way a narrator of the show would talk into their introduction. They even put the “do not try this at home” type label on the bottom of the introduction, which I really thought to be humorous. As for the design of the actual page, I think it very much went along with the theme. The ominous dark background with some of the text in red made for a great contrast. I do wish they would have perhaps come up with their own image on the home page, rather than one from the show. It would have been interesting to see how they would have incorporated the characters into the photo.

I do think after looking at the storybooks that I am going to come up with an idea that correlates to something in popular culture. I think by doing so, I would have a lot more fun coming up with the stories and it would probably be more fun for the readers too. I already have some things in mind....

No comments:

Post a Comment