Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Week 4 Storytelling: Everybody loves Rama

Everybody Loves Rama: Season 1
Review by Heather McGuire

In the city of Adoyhya, a man named Rama lives with his wife, Sita, and their two sons, Kusha and Lava. Their family seems pretty normal until you include his mother and father into the story. Rama's father, Dasaratha, and his mother, Kausalya, along with all of Dasaratha's other wifes live right across the street from the couple. Rama has a brother named Bharata, who sees that Rama is the chosen one to rule Adoyhya one day. This day would have to wait, however (until season 2, actually). Bharata's mother, Kaikeyi, became jealous and made Dasaratha promise to ban his son to never leave his house, and, therefore, he would not be king. Rama decided to become a sports writer while he was locked away inside his house for 14 years.

In this TV series, Rama turns his sports writing hobby into a career and becomes one of the most famous writers of all time. Bharata realizes everyone loves him and becomes jealous just like his mother. Basically, he convinces his friend, Ravana, to steal Sita from Rama. Rama ends up getting Sita back at the end of the season, but when he does, his mother never believes that Sita was loyal and always brings it up at the worst moments. Rama and Sita constantly have marital disagreements because Sita believes his mother needs to give them space, while Rama is afraid to talk to his mother in that way.

Eventually, Rama has to send Sita away to appease his blabbering mother. By the end of the season, this family is so messed up. Dasaratha has died. Kausalya and the other wives are always spreading bad rumors about Sita. Rama is too little of a man to actually confront the women and save the woman he loves. And Bharata... he has his own personal problems, like always having to touch his food to his chin before he eats.

I would say that if you enjoy watching shows about majorly dysfunctional families and love listening to TV show laugh tracks, you will love this one. I personally, however, only got through the season because I knew at some point Sita and Rama would die and I would never have to watch it again.


Rating 2.3/5


(Image Information: Everybody Loves Ray(ma) Source: made in paint)

Bibliography:
Paley, Nina, Annette Hanshaw, Reena Shah, Sanjiv Jhaveri, Pooja Kumar, Debargo Sanyal, Aladdin            Ullah, Nitya Vidyasagar, Aseem Chhabra, Bhavana Nagulapally, Manish Acharya, Todd                      Michaelsen, and Vālmīki. Sita Sings the Blues. Jersey City, N.J.: Film Karavan, 2009.

Author's note: I chose to write this piece as a TV review critic for the show "Everybody loves Raymond". I got the idea because in the video, there was a moment when a group of women literally were singing "Everybody loves Rama" and it put the idea into my head. I took a risk with this one, and I'm not sure I completely like the way it came out, but at least I gave it a try! Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, yes, I actually really hate the show "Everybody Loves Raymond". 

4 comments:

  1. Heather your review critic really made me laugh! I'm not a huge fan of Everybody Loves Raymond either. At first it was entertaining but then it became annoying. I thought it was pretty creative that you made your storytelling not only based off of a show but also as a review for the show. I think my favorite part was when you discussed Bharata's personal problem of always having to his food to his chin before he eats! Gross! Who does that! Overall, I liked it your post! Also, the cats were a nice touch (your blog theme).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I've seen "Everybody Loves Raymond" a few times, but this is the first time I've thought about it for a while. Your picture is marvelous. I appreciate that you took the time to edit it in paint. You might want to separate your paragraphs by another space. It was hard to see the difference between them, so they tended to run together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I think it is safe to say that this is the most creative story I have read so far. Not only is it combining one of the most ancient forms of "entertainment" to one of the most successful contemporary forms of entertainment, but the name even fits perfectly. You do a really good job of summering Rama's story in a short, sweet, modern way. It is really easy to read and you get a good idea of the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I got a chance to read this story, because I have already read your introduction and commented on it. I liked the premise of the story and it is too bad that you do not like the show Everyone Loves Raymond, I only have fond memories of the show. The only negative comment I have is that a few of the word choices I would not have envisioned a professional show critic using.

    ReplyDelete