Monday, October 19, 2015

Week 9 Reading Diary: Brook's Film "The Mahabharata"

This was very different from the first film I had watched for this class. In this version of the Mahabharata, you can actually see the story come to life through the usage of actors. The first thing I noticed about this film was the music. The music they chose sounded so graceful, traditional, and beautiful. I also thought that it was interesting that the opening scene is of the poet. I had read so many pieces so far, but I read them more like stories, rather than realizing they all had a purpose or a lesson and the epic was used for entertainment and was passed on through generations.

I loved this storytelling aspect of the film. Not only does the narrator put himself in the story, but he stops telling the story every so often to put in his own reasoning or detail about what was going on. I also enjoyed the fact that the little boy acted like a child would when being told a story. Always asking "why?"
(Image Information: The story begins... Source: eastiseverywhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment