Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 10 Storytelling: The Men in Blue

There were three men: Rama, Shiva, and Krishna. These three men would come to be known as "The Men in Blue."

Now, these men were not actually blue, but rather they all had a blue aura which only the trained could see. This "hidden" identity is what allowed these men to be in the profession of protecting mankind. Due to this blue aura, the men were able to gain trust in anyone, even those who wanted to kill them. The goal of these men was to protect the world from demonic beings called rakshasa.

Rakshasas can be both good and evil, and these men are here to decide whether or not a rakshasa is safe to live on Earth with people. This is a story about one rakshasa that they encountered.

The men in blue were wandering a trail in the forest on there way to go to a conference to discuss precautions that should be made towards a possible upcoming war between a certain family. On the trail, they suddenly realized a cat was following them. The men knew something was strange. Rama stopped walking to tie his shoe and the other men stopped so he wouldn't have to catch up to them. All while this was happening, though, the cat had also stopped walking. Krishna eyed both Rama and Shiva. Shiva nodded in acknowledgement of what was happening. Krishna pulled his rakshasa blaster out of his pocket and shot the cat. The cat suddenly turned into a screaming rakshasa!

“YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME!”
“Yeah… If you were actually a cat,” replied Krishna.
“What are you doing following us?” Rama questioned the demon.
“I am a huge fan of you guy. I was hoping you would pick up the stray kitten and feel sorry for me and keep me. That way I would always be near my heroes.”

Heroes? The three men looked at each other in confusion.
“Number one, why are we your heroes, and secondly, how do you know who we are?” said Shiva.
“Two years ago, you guys saved me. I was being help against my will by an evil man-eating rakshasa. He had me locked up in a cage. When I heard you guys come in, I transformed into a parrot, and after you killed the demon, you released me and I flew off. Ever since then, I have been studying you. I, too, want to rid the world of evil rakshasas.”

Rama whispered, “You have got to be kidding me…”
“Okay,” shiva replied, “transform back into a cat and we can discuss this after our conference.”
And the three men in blue continued on their journey with a tiny kitten following their every step.
(Image Information: kitten in a forest. Source: catsanimals)


Author’s Note: I wanted to discuss why we keep seeing blue characters in our stories. Instead of actually being blue, I took it as these men had blue auras, which only a select chosen few would be able to see. Since a blue aura is protecting an nurturing, I saw them as the protectors of people, and hence the men in blue!

Bibliography: Mahabharata. Peter Brook. 1989.



3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you called those three the "men in blue." I have wondered why they are always detectives as blue people, and your story was an interesting look at this. When you mention the conference, you should be much more specific. What is the name of the conference? Instead of saying that they will discuss a "certain family," name the family and give us more details about why they are the center of discussion. I thought your story was very clever. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was hilarious. First, it was a great way to address the fact these characters are blue. It is always a little confusing that the other characters do not seem to be very concerned about these blue-skinned guys. The kitten made me laugh so much. Especially when he was hoping they would pick him up so that he could be close to his heroes. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather. I liked this story. It is lighthearted and cute. I like how you had the three men roam around saving the world. I also really like how you use the phrase “Men In Blue”. It fits really well with who Rama, Shiva, and Krishna are and goes along with what they do in the world. The idea of the rakshasa turning into a cat and following his or her heroes is pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete