Sunday, November 1, 2015

Week 10 Growth Mindset

This week I became a manager at my job. Three long, hard years and I have finally made it! The only thing is, I am replacing another manager that is going on maternity leave. When I took the spot over I came to the realization that a lot of her duties were being put off. Nothing was in the right spot. We have boxes of supplies that were piled in the back. Blah blah blah. There was so much that needed to be fixed. I was just thrown into the mess without any help. I am one that gets overwhelmed very easily, but since this was my first time in a manager's position, I knew that I needed to prove myself.
Instead of just continuing the problem or ignoring it (or even crying about it and hoping it goes away - which I can say I have been guilty of in the past) I sat myself down and make a plan. I planned out exactly what needed to happen, along with where, when, and how. I also categorized those plans and decided what would be the most urgent matter if someone (state board, district manager, etc.) came in that day.
I was very proud of myself for making a plan and calming myself down. I had learned from the past that the only way to fix a problem is to actually try to be the solution. I asked questions, even if I felt like they were stupid because I wanted to make sure that every part of this transition was clear to me.
(Image Information: Growth Mindset in the Workplace. Source: Jess3)

No comments:

Post a Comment